Thursday, April 24, 2008

Key of being a good teacher...

CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT/DISCIPLINE!

This is true, at least at secondary school.
Yes... I am back at St'Gab, for about 1 mth plus already... This time round, teaching history... Well... It is not about how well you make your worksheets, handouts, or even what you have to say... If the class is not managed properly, NOTHING much will be achieved...

I left the whole English thing becoz the markings drove me crazy... And I wanted more time to interact and impact lifes... But suddenly... I realised that in this era, in this system, the job of a teacher can be so overwhelming that you just wish you have some time for yourself... And in class, you need to rush through syllabus... You don't have time to talk to the kids...

Granted, it is about your life... About being an example... But... They can be such monkeys sometimes! It suddenly dawned upon me how much more freedom I had when designing English lessons... Weaving in topics that enable me to inculcate values... Even if I do not have the time to talk to them much after school, the 6 period is significant...

For the first time in my entire life, I am considering the option of teaching English. It seems to be the best platform to reach out to the kids in the classroom on a deeper level..

Ya... But I am not good... Not good at all at english... At 18, I still insist that "Exterminate" is an impressive cheem word...

But ya... Classroom management... Guess I need to research on this aspect of teaching...

No comments: