Friday, July 06, 2007

Inquiring

"I am a Christian. But I am an academic as well."
Well... Seems like a dual role... But being an academic is actually a subset of being a Christian. It is not mutually exclusive. It is not like I am a Christian and I am a atheist. This 2 are mutually exclusive. It cannot co-exist.
Anw... Going back to my point... Why did i type the first statement? We had GP lessons at Ah Tong's place today, and there was a follow-up on the conflicts between science and religion (mainly the monotheistic ones).. And there were lots of qns, taking into consideration it was already about 10.. I have a few classmates who are quite atheistic in nature, or they do not believe in a creator of the universe. To be more specific, they find a lot of inconsistency or doubt the truth in the Christian Bible. I think Ah Tong has been giving quite a neutral viewpoint on creation and evolution.. To the extent that someone actually pop up the question. "Why are you so neutral? You free thinker ar?" I thought they always knew he was a Christian since i remember hearing him mentioning it before.. Ya lor... Than he say "No, I am a Christian." Than someone probe further... "So you believe in creation?"... "I dunno, i am still finding answers myself.. I am a Christian, but i am an academic as well." He replied, giving me a look that seems to be telling me that, "do you understand what that means?"..
This guy always spur me to think... Haha... Taking into consideration i am already a thinker.. He is a Christian, supposedly having the truth.. Yet being an academic, he wants and is suppose to study more and find out more.. 以信求知!I think as Christians, we receive the grace from God, enabling us to have the faith in Him, and we than seek to gain more knowledge of Him.. And i always believe and know that knowledge of the world just draws us closer to the creator when we already have this relationship with Him. The head of the human geonome project once said that the moment of discovery of the human genes enabled him to catch a glimpse into God's mind. It was something that he never knew but God knew it all along..
As an inquirer in the world, we seek the answers to unexplained phenomenum in the world, we analyse situations, trends, do all sorts of different thing to gain knowledge.. Would we disprove the existence of God, the creator of the world we see as we find more answers? I don't really understand mentalities of atheist or skeptics yet.. Some of them argues that science can reinforce your faith if you are already a believer as there are supposedly evidence to prove the event written in your sacred text (like the parting of the red sea) but to a non-believer, it holds no meaning.. But.. the very reason why the person is a non-believer, is becoz he don't believe it to be true.. If there are evidence to show that it may be true, and it still holds no meaning to you... than isn't it a state of denial instead? It may not be concrete evidence... But it shows a greater possibility of what this religion is trying to say is true.. are there benefits of being a skeptic or an atheist? I really don't understand... Maybe i would go find out more about skeptics and atheist..
Really, inquiring is good.. But... SO what is i know a lot but ultimately refuse to enter into a relationship with this God? Just for temporal recognition of being know as a smart chap? Come on... So what if you canbe smart for 70 years? Are people sometimes putting their eternity at stake? I can know a lot about President Bush, but would it make a difference if i don't have a relationship with him? In comparison, by knowing more about my father, i learn to do things that will please him and learn to accept him for who he is... The same way with God... SO what if we know a lot yet have no relationship with Him? He is like a King, extending His invitation for us to have an opportunity to be in full communion with Him, and through these, can get to know Him more... But some people choose not to... They choose to analyse Him from afar, trying means to disprove His soverignty, His power, and even His existence.. Some knows a lot, but it won't make a difference in their life...

Ok... I am kind of tired after a day of history, GP and thinking... I think i need time to rest... God.. Help me to learn to love You more throught my questions and my thoughts..

1 comment:

Dave said...

Thinking is not the enemy of faith. All truth is God's truth, we need not be afraid of exploring the world but to rejoice that all true knowledge comes from Christ, the wisdom of God amen!